May 14, 2013

TELLY DIVA: Sizzling Shama Sikander…




Pretty Shama Sikander is one of the honest and straight forward actresses. She was last seen as Bhayankar Pari in Sab TV’s show ‘Baal Veer’.  We met her recently, the graceful lady talked about her journey, her show and future plans. Excerpts’...

As a child she was a tomboy kind of girl, who used to play with boys. Though she was extremely forgetful, but she was very bright in her studies. “I am still forgetful (laughs), but I am more of a strong woman now. Being eldest in the family, I gradually became mature. I am a self-made strong girl,” says Shama.

When she was a kid she never dreamt of becoming an actor but it was her father’s wish which made her join the glamour world. “My father was into marble business. He met so many actors during those days. He was quite mesmerized by them. He was the one who took a step forward and gave me a dream to become an actor,” quips the actress.

Charming lady started her career as a background dancer. Talking about her first step in the industry she smiled and said, “When I used to go for Kathak classes, my guruji’s daughter was doing a serial at that time. She asked me whether I can perform as background artist or not. I immediately said yes because they were giving me 100 rupees for that. I was 12-13 years old at that time and I was quite thrilled. I had my exam next day but still I performed whole night because I am very passionate about anything I do.”

Shama gave that 100 rupees note to her mom which she earned for the first time. “She hugged me when I gave her my first earned 100 rupees. I remember she had tears in her eyes,” she became a bit nostalgic while saying this.

When producer Vipul D Shah offered her a daily soap, she politely refused as she didn’t want to do TV at that time. After sometime, he called Shama for a south Indian movie, again she said no as at that time she didn’t want to do films. She laughed and said, “He was confused when I told him that now I don’t want to do films because I was very keen to do films and earlier declined his offer for a daily soap. He said, ‘Shama aapko pehle serial nahi karna tha, ab film nahi karna. Tell me frankly what you want to do?’.”

Television was not a big medium when Shama was first offered a show, that’s why she was not in a mood to do serials. But later shows like ‘Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi’ and ‘Jassi Jaissi Koi Nahin’ changed her mind and this was the main reason why she refused to do the film which Vipul Shah offered.  Soon she was offered ‘Yeh Meri Life Hai’, she agreed and went to give the audition. At that time the channel guys who were sitting there to take her audition were shocked. She was glamorized and did not fit in the shoes of Pooja Mehta. “Pooja (her onscreen name in the show) was a gareeb ladki, so I did a total makeover. Baal kale karwaaye and I again went for the audition without applying any makeup. I gave a very de-glam look test. They were happy and selected me to play the lead role in ‘Ye Meri Life Hai’,” quips Shama. 

She became a household name post her performance as Pooja Mehta in Yeh Meri Life Hai She always tried to do something different.  After her first show she did Kaajal, Yashraj films’ Seven. In her last show ‘Baal Veer’ she was seen playing a negative character. “When Baal Veer was offered I couldn’t say no for a negative role.  Bhayankar Pari’s character is moderately different as it is not like the typical TV vamps. I am happy that I am getting roles with variations knowing a fact that most of the TV shows have similar characters,” she said while looking up as if she was saying thanks to the God.

Rapid Fire with Shama...

Shama’s dream role...
There are so many. I have just started and have long way to go (smiles). I want to do meaningful roles which leave impact on the viewers. I want to create a role which everyone dreams to play.

Shama’s dream actor to work with…
I am huge fan of Sridevi Devi Kapoor. I admire her as an actor, she is just flawless. I am mad over her, I adore her a lot. If given an opportunity I would definitely want to work with her. We share the same make-up man, Subhash, He told her that I am huge fan of her. To my surprise she told him that she likes my eyes and the contact lenses that I wear in Baal Veer.

Shama’s fitness mantra…
Eat healthy, do exercise and walk for at least one and a half hour.

Shama’s beauty mantra…
Rest properly, drink a lot of water. And always stay happy.

Shama’s fashion funda…
Fashion for me means comfort. I like wearing such clothes that bring a smile on others faces. I would like to give one cent from my side, ‘Always wear a smile, and it makes you look beautiful in any attire’.

When Shama is free she loves to…
I love to watch films, especially Hollywood films. My family and close friends are my support system and are always there with me. Whenever I get time I spend time with them.

The real Shama is...
Real Shama is real Shama haha...I am still under discovering phase who real Shama is. I will definitely let you know when I solve this puzzle.

Future plans…
I never plan anything in my life, I believe in destiny.

Your message for the readers of Scrutiny...



Copyright © 2013 - ScrutinyByKHimaanshu

1 comment: